Chromium is nothing but a browser which offers a secure environment for surfing the web. In real time, it actually prevents the user from navigating a malicious website. But, it’s essential to remove the browser because it tracks cookies and collects personal identifiable information. This harms the system and privacy.
Removing Chromium from Windows OS
In order to uninstall Chromium, three products could be used. While removal tool actually erases everything associated to Chromium, Plumbytes Anti-Malware plays a role of detecting the file. Later, you can clean up the leftovers with MalwareBytes Anti-malware.
Removing Chromium manually
For Windows XP
- Step 1: Click ‘Start’ and go to ‘Control Panel’.
- Step 2: Click ‘Add or Remove Programs’ and search for ‘Chromium’.
- Step 3: Click ‘uninstall’ and ‘OK’ to confirm the task.
For Windows Vista / 7
- Step 1: Click ‘Start’ and navigate to ‘Control Panel’.
- Step 2: Click ‘Uninstall a program’ and search ‘Chromium’.
- Step 3: Select the ‘uninstall’ option and finally click ‘OK’ for confirmation.
For Windows 8/ Windows 8.1
Since the interfaces of Windows 8 & 8.1 are very different from the earlier versions of Windows OS, a different procedure has to be followed.
- Step 1: Open ‘Menu’ and click ‘Search’.
- Step 2: Later, click ‘Apps’ and go to ‘Control Panel’.
- Step 3: Select the ‘Uninstall a program’ option and click ‘Uninstall’ once Chromium is found.
For Windows 10
- Step 1: Click ‘Start’ and go to ‘Settings’ present at the top of the menu.
- Step 2: Click ‘App & Features’ present towards the left side of the menu
- Step 3: Find ‘Chromium’ and then click ‘Uninstall’
Even though you have removed Chromium from the system, the extension has to be removed from the Chrome web browser. You can either perform this task through Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
Removing the extension from Google Chrome
Once you have opened Google Chrome, press the shortcut key ‘ALT + F’. Go to ‘Tools > Extensions’ and search for ‘Chromium’. Finally, click the trash can icon to remove its traces.
Removing the extension from Mozilla Firefox
Once you have launched Firefox, use the shortcut key ‘SHIFT + CTRL + A’ and select ‘Chromium’. Post which, click on ‘Disable / Remove’ button.
Removing the relevant folders and files
Firstly, you should remove the registry entries as mentioned below
Later the below mentioned files and folders should be deleted.
How to Uninstall Chromium from Mac OS X
For deleting Chromium from Mac OS X 10.6 and the earlier versions, follow the step by step procedure.
- Step 1: Erase the Chromium application file from the folder on your computer. Moving to Trash would simply work.
- Step 2: For user data and settings, (ex. history, bookmarks, and browsing history) navigate to Machintosh HD/Users/(your home folder)/Library/Application Support/Chromium and drop it into Trash.
Hope you have successfully removed Chromium from Windows and Mac OS X successfully.