In this tutorial, I will discuss almost everything about Device Firmware Update mode and explained the exact way of how to put iPhone in DFU mode I have learned from an expert.
Here’s the brief story that inspired me to write this DFU guide.
Few days back, I found my iPhone 8 plus stopped working properly and thus I took the phone to my nearby apple technician. He did suggest me that he need to put my iPhone on DFU mode to make it work properly.
With curiosity, I have asked him that what is it and how do I put my iPhone in DFU mode.
That guy has explained me everything in detail and that is what I have discussed here step by step.
Before we start digging into the steps, here’s what you need to know –
- The process may vary from one iOS device to another as some iPhone or iPad got mechanical home button, some got non-mechanical home button, and the latest devices like iPhone X, 11, 11 pro got no home button.
- The entire procedure of executing DFU restore iPhone needs pressing few buttons that include, Home Button, Power Button, Volume Up and Down Buttons.
- Make sure you backup your data to iTunes or iCloud.
- The latest MAC PCs with Catalina 10.15 MAC OS now support Finder to restore iPhones.
Let’s get started…
What is DFU Mode?
DFU stands for “Device Firmware Update” mode which makes your device ready for restoration from any state.
It is basically a mode in which BootROM is able to accept BSS.
You need to burn DFU into the hardware due to which you cannot remove it.
As a matter of fact, whether you are looking for an update from an expired data or you require a solution when nothing is working, Apple is capable of providing you the solution.
Due to this, we can say that putting your iPhone or iPad into DFU mode can be your last but best hope for success.
Unlike recovery mode, DFU mode makes your device go into a state where it is able to communicate with iTunes on Mac and Windows but the activation of boot loader or iOS is not present.
The best part is that you can restore your iPhone from any state.
If you want to set your iPhone it requires some time and practice. You may not succeed initially in setting a DFU mode but that should not refrain you from trying it again.
So, here’re the steps you need to follow to put different iPhone devices in DFU mode.
How to Put iPhone in DFU Mode Step by Step
As we mentioned above, the process may vary from one iPhone device to another and thus we have break down the process for each device for better clarity.
How to Put iPhone 6, 6S, SE, or Earlier into DFU Mode?
1) Plug-in iPhone with your MAC or Windows PC and open iTunes. For MacOs Catalina 10.15 or newer, open Finder.
2) Don’t bother either your phone is on or off. It doesn’t matter.
3) Now, press home button and power button (Sleep/Wake button) together at least for 8 seconds.
4) Next after 8 seconds, release the power button but keep pressing the home button until your device would appear in iTunes or Finder.
5) Once iTunes or Finder find your device, release the home button.
6) You are done and should be successfully entered into DFU mode, if your phone’s screen will be blank black.
7) If not, then you need to repeat the process again.
How to Put an iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X in DFU Mode?
There are some websites who recommend to turn off your iPhone before putting it on DFU mode.
But, let me tell you that it doesn’t require.
Below are the steps you can follow to put your iPhone X, 8, and 8 plus in DFU mode –
1) First, quickly push and release the volume up button.
2) In the next second, press and release the volume down button.
3) Now, hold the side button until the screen turns black.
4) Once the screen turns into blank black, hold and press the volume down button while holding the side button.
5) After few seconds, release the side button but keep holding the volume down button until your device appears in iTune or Finder.
6) As soon as you see your iPhone on iTunes or Finder, release the volume button.
That’s it, you’re iPhone is in DFU mode now.
Note: If you are seeing Apple logo on the screen, it means you have done something wrong (Ex; you have pressed the volume down button for too long time.). Repeat the process again until you enable the DFU mode successfully.
You can simply follow the exact steps as we did for iPhone 8 for latest Apple phone series iPhone XS, XS Max, XR, 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max.
As of now you know the right way to put iphone into DFU mode, but what if you want to exit the DFU restore mode?
Now worries! Below are the steps you need –
How to Exit iPhone DFU Mode?
If you want to exit the DFU mode you need to turn-off the device.
You can do this by holding down the sleep/power until you see the slider.
If you happen to hold the sleep/power and Home buttons for a longer duration the device will turn off and the screen will become dark.
When Should you Use DFU Mode on your iPhone?
The truth is that for most of the normal uses of your iPhone or iPad you will not require DFU mode. Probably the only thing you need is the recovery mode. If in case your device is stuck after the update of the operating system or due to corrupted data it is not functioning properly recovery mode is your first option. The main reasons for using the iPhone DFU mode are:
- In order to downgrade the version of iOS currently running on the iPhone.
- If you are looking to jailbreak or un-jailbreak the device.
- If you are looking to remove the expired beta version of the iOS.
However putting the device into DFU mode is very much similar to recovery mode but it is not that easy. It requires practice and you need to spend some time.
You may require putting your device into DFU mode for fixing some conditions but you should remember that it is dangerous to do so.
If you use DFU mode to downgrade the OS or you want to jailbreak your device, it can violate the warranty and also damage it.
Top DFU Tools for Your iPhone to Enter DFU Mode
As a matter of fact, it is always better to opt for a recovery mode or iOS system recovery before you put your iPhone into DFU mode.
The truth is that the DFU mode is the last and final attempt to fix your iPhone from any trouble.
In order to ensure that your iPhone is working properly and the data saved is also acting fine then you need to tinker with its settings.
There are six different iPhone DFU tools that will be of great help to you to enter your iPhone into the DFU mode.
DFU Tools Are;
- Tiny Umbrella
- EasyiRecovery and
Hope, this ultimate guide will help you to know how to put iPhone in DFU mode in the best possible way.