When you think about restoring the operating system back to its normal state, don’t be nervous or scared. We have helped out with everything concerned with an iPhone, Android, Mac and Windows OS.
How to Do a Hard Reset on iPhone?
Two methods have been demystified when you hard reset a device running on iOS. While the first way helps you achieve the task directly from the communication device, the other one entails you to connect the phone to a desktop.
#Method 1 – Performing an iPhone Hard reset Directly from the Device
- Step 1: Under the ‘Settings’ tab tap ‘General’.
- Step 2: Scroll down and access ‘Reset’.
- Step 3: Consider the option ‘Erase All Content and Settings’ and confirm by tapping ‘Erase iPhone’.
NOTE: While the process moves ahead, iTunes works in the background to restore the device to its original state.
- Step 4: Finally, the device would restart and you would have to swipe the home screen just as you had done for the first time. This step would help you find your way on how to master reset an iPhone.
#Method 2 – How to Hard Reset an iPhone through iTunes on a System?
- Step 1: Connect the iPhone to the computer with the help of a USB cable.
- Step 2: Open iTunes and wait till the device is detected.
- Step 3: Under the ‘Summary’ section click ‘Restore iPhone’.
- Step 4: You would then be prompted for a backup. If you wish, then you can proceed without a backup. At that instance, you won’t be able to retrieve data.
- Step 5: Click ‘Restore’ so that iTunes brings the phone to its original state.
- Step 6: Finally after a reboot, you have to once again swipe through the ‘Slide to Set up’ option. You would encounter the same situation when you had switched on the iPhone for the first time.
How to Hard Reset an Android cell Phone?
Hard resetting an Android smartphone is very much easy. You can either do it from the Settings menu or through the recovery mode.
#Method 1 – Using the Settings Menu
- Step 1: Under the Settings menu, search for ‘Backup & reset’ and then tap ‘Factory Data reset’ (Reset phone).
- Step 2: Enter the relevant pass code and then tap ‘Erase Everything’.
- Step 3: Once you’re done, select the options for rebooting the handset.
In this manner, you can restore the data stored in the phone.
#Method 2 – Using the Recovery Mode
If by chance you can’t access the Settings menu, then you can rest Android through the recovery mode. But, you should back up data because the process would erase everything from the internal storage memory.
- Step 1: Turn off the phone by using the Power button.
- Step 2: Press and hold ‘Volume down button + Power button’ till the phone switches on.
- Step 3: Once you see the screen, highlight the Recovery mode by pressing the ‘Volume Down’ key.
- Step 4: Press ‘Power’ to start recovery which would be followed by a reboot.
- Step 5: Under the recovery mode, press the Power button for few seconds. Then, press Volume Up button once and release your finger from the ‘Power’ button.
- Step 6: Press Volume down and toggle to the ‘Wipe Data/ Factory Reset’ option. While making the selection, remember to press ‘Power’.
- Step 7: Finally, select ‘Reboot System now’.
How to Reset a System Running on Mac?
Resetting Mac is very much easier through four main steps. You initially have to take a backup, log off, and proceed with reformatting of the drive. At the end, you shouldn’t forget reinstalling the operating system.
- Step 1: Go to the Apple menu and select ‘Preferences’.
- Step 2: After you have launched ‘Time Machine’, click on the ‘Select Backup Disk’ option.
- Step 3: Post selecting the desired disk, automate the backup process by checking ‘Back Up Automatically’.
- Step 4: Sign out from iTunes and iMessage accounts.
- Step 5: Navigate to iCloud and un-tick ‘Find My Mac’ followed by ‘Sign Out’ and ‘Remove data from this Mac’.
- Step 6: Switch off and restart Mac.
- Step 7: Press and hold ‘Command + R’ till you are directed to the Apple logo.
- Step 8: From the utilities window, select ‘Disk Utility’ and click ‘Continue’.
- Step 9: Select the startup disk, click ‘Erase’, select ‘Mac OS Extended (Journaled)’ and click ‘Erase’ for the second time.
- Step 10: Once the process is complete, exit Disk Utility by selecting ‘Quit Disk Utility’.
- Step 11: Finally, reinstall Mac OS X and hold ‘Command + Q’ after the process is complete.
How to Reset a Computer Running on Windows 8?
- Step 1: Backup files, folders and other digital content either on an external hard drive or on cloud.
- Step 2: Under the ‘Settings’ tab click ‘Change PC settings’ followed by ‘Get started’ mentioned under ‘Reset your PC and start over’.
- Step 3: Once you see a green band named as ‘Reset your PC and start over’ move ahead by clicking ‘Next’.
- Step 4: Complete the process by following the on-screen prompts.
Hope this guide has helped you with everything you need to reset a system. Don’t hesitate to share the information with your friends.